Over the past month, soccer fans from all over the world have come together to support the teams of the countries competing in the world’s biggest sporting event. And whether or not classical hymns, podcasts or appointmentsSpotify was there to stream the world’s greatest goals, victories and moments of glory the game has produced.
During the course of the tournament, there were many unexpected victories and exciting moments, which made the fans celebrate with their favorite anthems. And we’ve helped fans capture those moments by tracking some key trends and creating new experiences.
Let’s take a look back at some of Spotify’s biggest music moments from the tournament.
- Finally, the quest for football glory has come to Argentina and France, Argentina is the celebratory winner! Soccer fans in Argentina managed to have fun custom Spotify destination from the beginning of the tournament. Along the way, La Mosca Tse-Tseanthem”Muchachos, Ahora Nos Volvimos and Dreamer” saw a huge surge in popularity, and after Argentina’s unprecedented victory, there was a 4,300% increase in global streams of “Muchachos” on Spotify globally, with a 5,300% increase in streams from Argentina in particular.
- Supporters also noted the queen’etc “We Are Champions” saw a 320% increase in broadcasts in Argentina after the final game.
- Featuring local and global football anthems from past and present, Allez Les Bleus ! there was also something for the French fans who streamed our playlist.
- In general, Castle‘s 1997 hit “Freed From Desire” has proven to be one of football’s signature anthems over the past month, with fans flocking to the song in France, England, Germany, Switzerland, Italy and Poland.
- After Saudi Arabia’s historic loss to Argentina in the group stage of the tournament, Spotify highlighted Arabia. Madonna‘s 1996 musical hit Evita, “Don’t cry for me Argentina.” The song saw an increase of over 1200% in airplay in Saudi.
— Spotify Saudi Arabia (@SpotifyKSA) November 22, 2022
- Fans were treated to our new playlist as Morocco made a Cinderella run throughout the tournament. Dima Moroccoincludes Hamid Bushnakfans’ favorite football anthem”Allez Allez Maroc – Les lions de l’Atlas,” had an almost 5,000% increase in streams among listeners around the world during the tournament.
- South Korea also added an element of surprise to the tournament, and as they headed into the knockout stages, the fans sang two anthems in particular: BTS‘ “IDOL” and Jungkookof “Dreamers [Music from the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 Official Soundtrack].”
- While singing the anthem, Nicki Minaj, I knowand Myriam Fares‘ new fan festival anthem,’Tukoh Taka (Official FIFA Fan Festival Anthem)” is a global favorite with top listeners from the US, Mexico, Brazil, Germany, France and the Czech Republic.
- To wrap up this big month for the world game, Spotify also supported the Egyptian rapper Wegz With a billboard in New York’s Times Square to promote his new single, “EZZ AL ARAB (Music from FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 Official Soundtrack),” he performed at the closing ceremony of the tournament.
Keep celebrating the beautiful game and relive your favorite moments from the world’s biggest sporting event with our Himnos de Futbol playlist.